This Sautéed Delicata Squash makes the most delicious side dish in the Fall and Winter months and it's fantastic to serve at Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner. It only takes 5 minutes to prep and is pan fried in minutes.
- 1 delicata squash
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage leaves, minced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
- Carefully slice the squash in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to scoop out all of the seeds and pulp and discard.
- Slice the squash horizontally into 1/2 inch half moon slices.
- Toss the squash slices with 1 tablespoon olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil into a large skillet over a little less than medium heat on the stovetop. Allow the oil to heat up, then layer the squash slices into the pan with enough space so all the slices lay flat. We will work in 2-3 batches. Sauté the squash for 3-4 minutes. Then, flip.
- Cook the squash for another 3-5 minutes until tender. Remove to a plate. Start the next batch, adding another tablespoon of oil into the pan before the squash. Repeat until all the squash is cooked.
- Allow the pan to cool and wipe out any black marks. Heat the skillet back to medium low heat and melt the butter. Add in the sage and cook for few minutes, stirring frequently. Turn the heat to low and stir in the brown sugar.
- Toss in the squash and cook for another minute just to warm them up.
- Transfer to a serving dish. Optional: Top with cranberries and a few pecans. Serve and enjoy!
- Try to slice the squash in similar thickness, so they cook evenly. They won't be perfect, but stay by the pan and watch them sauté, and pull the skinnier ones out of the pan first because they cook faster. It's a lot like frying potatoes, it's important to watch them.
- I prefer to use a large stainless steel skillet for this recipe because they distribute heat really well and brown the squash perfectly.
- Don't cook the brown sugar for too long in the sauce. It will caramelize into chunks.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: side dish
- Method: sautéed
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Sautéed Delicata Squash