Holy new pesto creation! These pesto chicken sandwiches blew my mind. The flavor combination between the pesto, mozzarella and fire roasted peppers is AMAZING and ultimately makes this another must try recipe!
- 8 slices of good bread (the kind they make in the grocery store* the good kind* I used an Italian round loaf, which turned out marvelous)
- 2 chicken breast ( Carefully slice each breast in half lengthwise to create 2 skinny chicken breast, which made 4 total chicken breasts)
- 8 thin slices of fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup of roughly chopped fire roasted red peppers from the jar
- 8 tablespoons of pesto sauce (I have a really great recipe for homemade pesto or you can use store bought)
- 8 tablespoons of butter (I like salted, but you go with whatever feels right)
- dash of salt and pepper
- 1 tbs olive oil
- A skillet or grill pan or panini press
- Pat dry the chicken breast with a paper towel and season with salt and pepper. Into a large skillet over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Once heated, place chicken into skillet and cook about 4 minutes on each side until cooked entirely. If you are looking for a little more seasoning, check out my sautéed chicken breast recipe. The chicken should read 165 degrees on a meat thermometer or instant read thermometer. Place on a plate and set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons of pesto to each sandwich by spreading it on one side of each sandwich.
- Now, add two slices of fresh mozzarella, a few roasted red peppers & one of the thin chicken breasts onto each sandwich.
- Get the grill pan, panini press or just a skillet ready. Heat the pan to medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of butter. This is important *Make sure if you are using a grill pan like this, that the butter gets between each crevice. Otherwise, it cooks a little funny.
- Add two sandwiches in, then press onto the top of the sandwich with a flat lid or a burger press.
- Flip the sandwiches after three to four minutes on each side. Make sure to add one tbs of butter in the flip transition. When in doubt, you need more butter.
- Ta-DA!!! Next batch!
Serve with extra pesto sauce!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: sandwiches
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: pesto chicken sandwiches