This recipe for The Best Whipped Sweet Potatoes is absolutely delish! The sweet potatoes are whipped to perfection. These potatoes are the ideal Fall side dish and a must have at the Thanksgiving dinner table. Plus, it's only 5 ingredients!
- 3 large sweet potatoes, or 5 small to regular size sweet potatoes (should equal about 4 cups after peeled and chopped)
- 1/4 cup half and half (plus, possibly a few additional tablespoons *see notes below*)
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed into measuring cup
- Begin by bringing a large pot of water to a boil.
- While the water is boiling, peel and chop the sweet potatoes into small cubes. This allows them to cook evenly and quicker.
- Carefully add the potatoes into the boiling water.
- Boil for 13 to 16 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes, until they are tender enough to break apart when stuck with a fork. The water should have some small broken apart pieces and maybe even a bit of orange color floating at the top.
- *It's really important to make sure they are completely cooked. Overcooked is better than undercooked in this recipe.*
- Strain the potatoes, then add them to a large bowl, if using a hand mixer, or to the bowl of the stand mixer.
- Add in the brown sugar, cinnamon, and butter. Blend at medium speed for 1 minute.
- Slowly, pour in the half and half. Start speed on low until combined, then turn heat to medium heat for 30 seconds. Stop and use a spatula to run down the sides of the bowl to make sure everything gets incorporated. We don't want any chunks! Mix on medium-high speed for a few minutes until it is nice and pureed.
- Pour it into a casserole dish or bowl to serve.
Optional: Top with additional cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice, a few tablespoons of maple syrup and a couple pecans.
*It's really important to make sure the sweet potatoes are completely cooked. Overcooked is better than undercooked in this recipe.*
*If the potatoes look a little thick at the end, add an additional tablespoon of milk in increments until they reach the desired texture.*
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: side dish
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: thanksgiving
Keywords: whipped sweet potatoes, the best sweet potatoes, easy sweet potatoes, thanksgiving side dishes