This post contains affiliate links.
You have to try this Creamy Garlic Parmesan Risotto! This recipe is creamy, filled with cheesy garlic flavor and really simple to make.
Risotto is one of those foods that really intimidate people in the kitchen, when in fact, it really isn't that hard to make. Personally, I find it easier to make than regular rice because you get to actually watch the cooking process.
This classic risotto recipe is creamy and delicious and pairs perfectly with salmon, shrimp, chicken or steak. Try it with my oven baked panko chicken, crispy pan fried chicken recipe or garlic butter shrimp.
Why You'll Love This Recipe:
- The recipe only takes 30 minutes to make
- It is filled with cheesy, garlic flavor
- This risotto is a great way to turn basic rice into a decadent meal
- It's easy to make and just requires a little attention in the kitchen
Arborio Rice: A short grain rice with high starch, which makes the creamiest risotto
Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese: A nutty Italian cheese with bold flavor
Garlic and Onion: Must have ingredients in Italian cooking
Butter & Olive Oil- For sautéing the onion and garlic and toasting the risotto
White Wine- A dry white wine like Chardonnay for a bit of acidity in this savory dish
Chicken Stock- To add salty, rich flavor into the risotto
Heavy Cream- For an added boost of creaminess at the end of the cooking process
Salt & Pepper- To season the risotto
Arborio rice is most commonly used for risotto for it's high starch content that creates a creamy texture. If you choose a different form of rice, you will not get the right consistency.
If you want to add more to this garlic parmesan risotto, red peppers or mushrooms would be a great addition. Add either of them into the dish with the onions in the beginning.
Absolutely! Use a few tablespoons of lemon juice or skip right to the chicken stock. It will still be delicious without the wine and I've made it plenty of times without.
Yes! You can omit the heavy cream. I like it for extra creaminess, but it is not 100% necessary. If you can't have dairy, you can also leave out the cheese and use 2 tablespoons of olive oil instead of butter.
How To Make Creamy Garlic Parmesan Risotto:
Watch the full recipe video and be sure to Subscribe on YouTube. It's free and I post NEW recipe videos every week to share with you!
Begin by placing a dutch oven or large pot on the stovetop over medium low heat. Add in the butter and olive oil and allow it to heat up.
Toss in the onions and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until translucent, stirring every minute to avoid burning.
Add in the garlic and arborio rice and stir. Allow it to toast for a few minutes.
Pour in the wine and allow it to evaporate for a minute.
Now, add 1 cup of chicken stock into the pot until it soaks into the arborio rice. This takes about 5 to 6 minutes. Stir. Then repeat two more times.
Once all of the stock has absorbed into the arborio rice, (it should take between 15 and 20 minutes) turn off heat completely.
Sprinkle in salt and pepper and heavy cream. Add in parmesan cheese and stir to incorporate. Cover for 3 minutes.
Uncover and add in parsley or chives. Now you are ready to serve this gorgeous, creamy risotto!
More Italian Recipes To Try:Print
Creamy Garlic Parmesan Risotto
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 5 servings 1x
You've got to try this creamy garlic parmesan risotto! This recipe is creamy, filled with cheesy garlic flavor and really simple to make.
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup white wine (can be left out or substituted with 3 tablespoons lemon juice)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup yellow onion, diced
- ¾ cup parmigiano reggiano cheese
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced chives or parsley (optional)
- Begin by placing a dutch oven or large pot on the stovetop over medium low heat. Add in the butter and olive oil and allow it to heat up.
- Toss in the onions and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until translucent and softened. Stir them to avoid burning.
- Add in the garlic and arborio rice and stir. Allow it to toast a bit for a few minutes.
- Pour in the wine and allow it to evaporate for a minute.
- Now, add 1 cup of chicken stock into the pot until it soaks into the arborio rice. This takes about 5 to 6 minutes. Stir. Then, repeat 2 more times with the remaining stock. Stirring each time you add stock.
- Once all of the stock has absorbed into the arborio rice, (should take between 15 and 20 minutes) turn off heat completely.
- Sprinkle in salt and pepper and heavy cream. Add in parmesan cheese and stir to incorporate. Cover for 3 minutes.
- Uncover and (optional) add in parsley or chives. Now you are ready to serve this gorgeous, creamy risotto!
Make sure to stir well every 5 minutes when adding the stock.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: dinner
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: garlic parmesan risotto, the best risotto, creamy garlic parmesan risotto, easy risotto recipe
So creamy and delicious! Love the nutty flavor from the parm cheese.
Wow. This was delicious! After searching many recipes for creamy risotto, I found many ingredients in common. But what drew me to this one despite only having one review was a couple unique ingredients: heavy cream (you had me at heavy cream 🙂 and parmigiano reggiano vs. regular Parmesan. And maybe others include garlic, but I was all for that as well. This turned out amazing. My husband and I couldn’t stop eating it. Thank you! I will be making this my go to recipe for sure.
Yay! Thank you so much Jennifer. I'm so thrilled you loved this one. It's a total staple in our house. I always go back for seconds and thirds, haha!