This Oven Baked Chicken Kofta is so delicious and filled with Mediterranean flavor! You can eat it in a rice bowl with tzatziki sauce and hummus, in a pita, or serve it over greens. It's a really simple recipe that the whole family will love!
I am always looking for recipes that I can use in Mediterranean bowls. In other words, anything that tastes delicious completely lathered in tzatziki sauce. Let me just say, this Chicken Kofta recipe did not disappoint.
For this recipe, I really wanted to make an easy weeknight dinner that could bake in the oven. Usually chicken kofta is cooked on the grill into a kabob like shape. It's delicious both ways, but the oven is an easier way for me to make this recipe, especially when it starts getting cold out. This mama does not like cold weather. Burrrr!!!
If you want to make a Mediterranean bowl like in the photo, make sure to check out my Yogurt Dill Sauce (aka Tzatziki) Recipe. It's so good! Even if you don't make the bowls, I suggest using it for dipping the Chicken Kofta into. Trust me!
Why You'll Love This Recipe:
- These Chicken Kofta meatballs are really juicy, and filled with Mediterranean flavor.
- You can serve these in a bowl, over greens or in a pita. Lots of different options and all delish!
- They only take 30 minutes to make.
- This recipe is super healthy and is great for meal prepping for the week!
Frequently Asked Questions About The Recipe:
Chicken Kofta is a lot like a Mediterranean Meatball. It is filled with flavors like garlic and red bell pepper, and uses fresh herbs like mint and parsley in the mixture. It is so good!
I like to pair this Chicken Kofta with other mediterranean flavors like hummus, cucumber, feta cheese, and tzatziki sauce.
Ground Chicken- High in protein and low in fat. It's also a great choice if you are on a budget, because you can buy organic at a fairly low cost.
Egg- Helps to bind the filling together to create the meatballs.
White Bread and Milk- Combines to make wet bread crumbs, which result in the juiciest meatballs.
Red Bell Pepper, Onion and Garlic- Chopped up finely in the food processor to create texture and add a lot of flavor to the Chicken Kofta.
Fresh Mint and Parsley- Combine into the filling for fresh Mediterranean flavor.
Salt and Pepper, Red Pepper Flakes and Coriander- For seasoning. The red pepper & coriander bring in a little bit of warmth and spiciness.
How to Make Oven Baked Chicken Kofta:
Watch the full recipe video and be sure to Subscribe on YouTube. It's free and I post NEW recipes every week.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In a small bowl, tear apart the sandwich bread and pour in the milk. Toss it around, so the milk absorbs into the bread. Set aside.
Into the food processor, add in the red bell pepper, onion, mint, garlic and parsley. Pulse until very fine.
Into a large bowl, add the egg and whisk. Then, add in the ground chicken, bread and milk mixture, the veggies and herbs from the food processor, along with red pepper flakes, coriander and salt and pepper.
Use your hands to gently combine the mixture.
Roll into medium sized meatballs and place on a baking rack over a cookie sheet or a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
Bake for 18-20 minutes until the internal temperature of the meatballs reaches 165 degrees.
What to Serve with the Kofta:
Not sure what to pair with Chicken Kofta?
Try cooking some white or brown rice in the rice cooker. Dollop the top with some homemade tzatziki sauce or go the easier route with store bought hummus.
Make some of my Greek Chicken Pitas, but substitute the grilled chicken with the Chicken Kofta.
Thinking about pasta as a side for this recipe? Try this Chickpea Pasta Salad that is filled with Greek Flavors.Print
This Oven Baked Chicken Kofta is so delicious and filled with Mediterranean flavor! You can eat it in a rice bowl with tzatziki or hummus, in a pita, or serve it over greens.
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1 slice of white sandwich bread
- ⅛ cup whole milk
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped fine
- ½ cup red bell pepper, rough chopped
- ½ cup yellow onion, rough chopped
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a small bowl, tear apart the sandwich bread and pour in the milk. Toss it around, so the milk absorbs into the bread. Set aside.
- Into the food processor, add in the red bell pepper, yellow onion, mint, garlic and parsley. Pulse until very fine.
- Into a large bowl, add the egg and whisk. Add in the ground chicken, bread and milk mixture, the veggies from the food processor, along with red pepper flakes, coriander and salt and pepper.
- Use your hands to gently combine the mixture.
- Roll into medium sized meatballs and place on a baking rack over a cookie sheet or a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until internal temperature of the meatballs reaches 165 degrees.
If you don't have a food processor, make sure to chop up the vegetables and fresh herbs super fine.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: dinner
- Method: oven baked
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: chicken kofta, kofta meatballs, oven baked, mediterranean bowls, chicken bowls
Meal Prepping & Storage:
This recipe is great for meal prepping. Store in glass containers and get ready for an easy and delicious lunch or dinner. The Chicken Kofta heat up in the microwave or oven in no time at all!
Check out the video above for a full Mediterranean meal prepping video with lots of great ideas. I was left with all of this food (see photo below) and it took about an hour to make everything!
These bowls have tzatziki sauce and hummus in the containers. The base of the bowl is brown rice with chicken kofta meatballs on top. I sprinkled a bit of feta in each container and I like to pack a piece of naan bread as well. So yummy!