This Garden Vegetable Soup is hearty and delicious. It is a simple way to use up ingredients from the fridge, pantry and garden and create a yummy meal.
This soup is perfect for a cold winter day when you need a pick me up. It is loaded with veggies and it is so simple to create in just one pot. A snow storm came just a few days ago and this soup was a total hit!
We live in North Carolina and when the snow comes once or twice a year, the grocery stores are out of water, milk and bread and everyone stays in their houses until it melts. It's a lot different from living in Buffalo, New York as a kid, but I got used to it quick. Gotta love the South! If we get a storm, you can find me playing outside with the kids some, but mostly cooking up every soup I know of and sipping hot drinks by the fire.
If you love soup like I do, be sure to check out my easy french onion soup, creamy tortellini soup, and my dutch oven chili recipe.
For this recipe, I also make super simple soup croutons that are so tasty!
Why You'll Love This Recipe:
- It's loaded with vegetables, but even if you're not a big fan of veggies like my husband, you will still love it. He ate his whole bowl! I just add a little extra cheese and homemade soup croutons to his.
- This recipe can be made from what you have in your pantry, fridge, and garden and it's a great way to use up produce before it goes bad.
- It only takes 15 minutes to prep, then leave it on the stove for an hour or more.
Carrot, Celery, Onion, Bell Pepper, Zucchini, & Kale/Spinach: A combination of vegetables to create the perfect chunky soup
Fire Roasted Tomatoes- For a kick of roasted flavor
Olive Oil, Vegetable Stock & Tomato Sauce: The base of the soup
Cannellini Beans: For added protein
Red Pepper Flakes- For a hint of heat
Salt, Bay Leaf, Garlic, Oregano, and Thyme: Seasoning and herbs to enhance the soup flavor
Substitutions for this Recipe:
Missing Cannellini Beans from the pantry? Try kidney beans or garbanzo beans.
Missing one of veggies? Leave it out and add a little bit more of your favorite veggie.
Out of Vegetable stock? Try Chicken Stock instead.
How to Make Garden Vegetable Soup :
Watch a quick tutorial of the recipe and Subscribe on YouTube for weekly recipe videos:
Start by adding the olive oil to a dutch oven on medium heat.
Once the olive oil is hot, add in the carrot, bell peppers, celery, onion, zucchini, and salt. Stir and cover. Cook for 6 minutes, checking half way through and stirring.
Add garlic, oregano, thyme, red pepper and bay leaf and cook for 30 seconds.
Stir in the spinach or kale.
Pour in fire roasted tomatoes, cannellini beans, tomato sauce, and vegetable stock.
Bring to a boil, then reduce to low heat and cook on the stovetop for at least one hour and up to 3 hours.
Remove the bay leaf.
Top with parmesan cheese and croutons.
More Soup Recipes You Will Love:Print
Garden Vegetable Soup
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
This garden vegetable soup is hearty and delicious. It is a simple way to use up ingredients from the fridge, pantry and garden and create a yummy meal in one pot.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 to 2 carrots, sliced thin
- 1 cup green bell pepper
- 1 cup red bell pepper
- ¼ cup zucchini, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 cup of chopped spinach or kale
- ½ teaspoon garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon fresh oregano
- ¼ teaspoon fresh thyme
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 28 ounce tomato sauce
- 1 (32 ounce) vegetable stock
- 15 ounce cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 14 ounce can fire roasted tomato (drained)
- Start by adding the olive oil to a dutch oven on medium heat.
- Once the olive oil is hot, add in the carrot, bell peppers, celery, onion, zucchini, and salt. Stir and cover. Cook for 6 minutes, checking half way through and stirring.
- Add garlic, oregano, thyme, red pepper and bay leaf and cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the spinach or kale.
- Pour in fire roasted tomatoes, cannellini beans, tomato sauce, and vegetable stock.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to low heat and cook on the stovetop for at least one hour and up to 3 hours.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- Top with parmesan cheese and croutons.
Serve with parmesan cheese and homemade croutons.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Category: soup
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: chunky vegetable soup, vegetable soup recipes
So good! It doesn't even taste healthy, but it is!