This post contains affiliate links.
These homemade soup croutons are the perfect addition for a big bowl of soup. They are savory, crispy and so easy to make!
I have a confession to make. I made these for my homemade vegetable soup the other day and ended up snacking on them all day and eating the whole entire batch. They are seriously so yummy. I like them extra crunchy, so that stay firm even after floating to the bottom of my soup bowl.
These croutons are perfect for my vegetable soup, as seen below, or try them in my minestrone soup.
Why You Will Love These Homemade Soup Croutons:
- They are crunchy, buttery and the perfect addition to almost any soup
- These croutons are so simple to make. Just toss them in a garlic butter mixture and throw them in the oven.
- The recipe tastes so much better than store bought croutons
2-3 day old Italian Round or French Loaf: A slightly hardened stale bread is perfect for this recipe because it creates a little crunch even after submerged in soup
Salted Butter and Garlic: Creates a garlic butter sauce to toss the croutons into
Sea Salt & Black Pepper: Simple seasoning that goes a long way
Italian Seasoning (Optional): Adds an Italian flavor from a blend of rosemary, thyme, basil, oregano, sage, and marjoram
How to Make Homemade Soup Croutons:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cut the bread into one inch cubes. Set aside.
2. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium low heat. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
3. Transfer the garlic butter into a large bowl. Add in the salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Whisk.
4. Toss in the bread and make sure to coat all the croutons in the garlic butter.
5. Spread them out onto a cookie sheet. Bake 15 to 18 minutes, until nice and crispy.
6. Use them on your soup or salads! Enjoy!Print
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
These homemade soup croutons are the perfect addition for a big bowl of soup. They are savory, crisp and so easy to make!
- 5 to 6 pieces of 2-3 day old bread (Italian round or french loaf)
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt, fine
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning (Optional) Blend of rosemary, thyme, basil, oregano, sage, and marjoram
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut the bread into one inch cubes. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium low heat. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Transfer the garlic butter into a large bowl. Add in the salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Whisk.
- Toss in the bread and make sure to coat all the croutons in the garlic butter. Spread them out onto a cookie sheet.
- Bake 15 to 18 minutes, until nice and crispy.
Make sure to toss the croutons really well in the garlic butter before baking to make sure they crisp up just right!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 18 minutes
- Category: soup toppings
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: soup croutons, salad croutons, croutons, homemade croutons
Here are some perfect soup ideas for these croutons..
Made these with the vegetable soup! So good!!