Sauteed Chickpeas are the perfect healthy snack idea. They're loaded with protein and fiber, and pan fried on the stovetop. Ready in less than 10 minutes.
These little chickpeas are so simple to pan fry into the most delicious treat. Toasted to perfection and tossed in a Chili Lime seasonings, they are so addicting.
Eat these sautéed garbanzo beans as a snack, or top them on bowls or salads, like this Southwest Chicken Salad.
Why You'll Love This Recipe:
- Healthy and packed with flavor.
- Chickpeas are loaded with protein, which helps you stay full longer. If you are looking to live a healthier lifestyle or lose weight, this snack would be a great replacement for those chips or popcorn soaked in butter and salt.
- This recipe only takes 15 minutes to make and consists of really simple pantry ingredients.
- It is a very inexpensive recipe to make with less than a few dollars if you have the seasonings already!
Ingredients for Pan Fried Chickpeas:
Canned Garbanzo Beans/ Chickpeas: The star component of this recipe and packed with protein and fiber.
Chili Powder, Paprika, Cumin & Salt: The perfect Tex Mex seasoning combination to spice up the flavors
Lime: A must have citrus addition
Minced Jalapeño and Garlic: For added heat and flavor
Olive Oil: To assist in toasting the chickpeas
*Full recipe ingredients and quantities can be found in the recipe card below.
Substitutions and Variations:
For a different spice combination, you could use ½ teaspoon of garlic and onion powder.
Avocado oil would be a good substitution for the olive oil.
Not big on garlic? Feel free to leave it out.
How to Make Sauteed Chickpeas:
Step 1: Drain, rinse and completely dry the chickpeas using a colander or large mesh strainer.
Step 2: Begin with a large skillet on medium high heat. Add in 2 tablespoons of olive oil and allow it to heat up for about a minute. Pour the chickpeas into the skillet. Note: Be sure the chickpeas are completely dry or the oil will pop from the water.
Step 3: Cook them for 6 to 8 minutes giving them a shake or stir every few minutes. We want them toasted and brown, not burnt. If they are starting to pop out of the pan, reduce the heat to medium.
Step 4: After they are nice and toasted, reduce heat to low. Add in the spices, lime juice, jalapeño and garlic. Stir well and cook for 1 more minute on low.
Step 5: Immediately remove chickpeas from the heat into a bowl and allow the chickpeas to cool for a few minutes. Enjoy as a snack, on salads, bowls, and more!
- Make sure the garbanzo beans/chickpeas are completely dry before adding to the oil.
- If the chickpeas start to pop out of the pan, lower the heat to medium.
- A few skins may end up in the pan, just pick them out and throw away.
- I find it easier and safer to shake the skillet while cooking to avoid oil popping at the arms.
- A stainless skillet is a good option for cooking because they distribute the heat from the pan really well.
Yes, they sure are!
Yes! In fact, 1 cup of garbanzo beans or chickpeas has 14 grams of protein in it.
Chickpeas are perfectly safe to eat out of the can. Rinse the liquid off and you can add to salads or give them a nice toast on the stovetop like this recipe!
Chickpeas pan fry on the stovetop really quickly on medium high heat in about 6 to 8 minutes.
More Healthy Recipe Ideas You Will Love:
If you tried this Sautéed Chickpeas Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it goes in the 📝 comments below. I love hearing from you!Print