This Cheesy Egg, Ham and Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole is the easiest breakfast recipe and only takes about 10 minutes to prep. Pop it in the oven and you'll have a protein packed morning casserole, great for weekends and Holidays!
I'm all about easy casserole recipes that include "all the things". This Egg Bake has just that, as it combines hashbrowns, diced ham, cheese and eggs for the ultimate breakfast casserole.
Why You'll Love This Recipe:
- Quick Prep. This breakfast casserole only takes minutes to prep, then stick it in the oven and watch it bake to perfection.
- Easy to Make. Minimal Chopping required for this recipe and no difficult directions or extra steps.
- Prep it ahead. If you have a busy morning planned, prep it at night and pop it in the fridge with plastic wrap. In the morning, just uncover and bake!
- Feeds a crowd. This recipe feeds up to 10 people. It's great to bring to potlucks, breakfast or brunch parties.
- Freeze the leftovers or save them for quick weekday breakfasts! Just microwave or oven bake and enjoy!
Simply Potatoes Shredded Hash Browns- Fresh hash browns that can usually be found in the refrigerated section near the eggs, sour cream, etc. I recommend fresh over frozen because the ingredients always mix better and there is less water involved to prevent soggy casserole. Check out this Hash Brown Chicken Casserole for a great dinner recipe.
Ham- Diced ham can be bought in the package or use leftover Christmas ham, diced into pieces. Even thick cut deli meat will work for this recipe.
Eggs and Milk-Add protein to the casserole and helps to bind the ingredients and give it a nice fluffy texture.
Onion- Pairs nicely with the hashbrowns and adds flavor.
Sour Cream-Brings a creaminess to the casserole and tasty flavors.
Cheese- Cheddar cheese is my favorite in this casserole. I used white cheddar because I had it on hand, but yellow is just as good. It's creamy, sharp in flavor, and melts well in this egg bake.
*Full recipe ingredients and quantities can be found in the recipe card below.
Substitutions and Variations:
Not big on ham? Leave it out or substitute it with crispy bacon, chopped into pieces or 8 ounces of cooked ground sausage.
Want to add some heat? Substitute the cheddar cheese with pepper jack cheese and add a few dashes of hot sauce into the mixture.
If you can't find the Simply Potatoes, you can substitute them with frozen hashbrowns. I suggest allowing them to thaw for at least 30 minutes ahead of time though. They will mix easier if they are thawed out a bit. Remove any water before adding them in with the other casserole ingredients.
If you're looking for a vegetarian option, try this Simply Potatoes Hashbrown Casserole instead or just leave out the ham in this recipe.
How to Make Cheesy Egg, Ham and Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole:
Watch the full recipe video and be sure to Subscribe for new recipe ideas every week.
Here are the Step by Step Instructions for this Egg and Ham Hashbrown Casserole.
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9x13 casserole dish with butter or vegetable oil. In a large bowl, combine the hashbrowns, diced ham, onion, salt and pepper, sour cream and 1 cup of cheddar cheese. Stir to combine. Transfer to the 9x13 baking dish.
Step 2: Whisk together the eggs and milk until nice and smooth.
Step 3: Slowly pour the eggs over the entire top of the hashbrown casserole. Use a spoon to spread the eggs into the casserole. Most of them will sink into the mixture.
Step 4: Top with remaining ½ cup of cheddar cheese. Cover with tin foil. Bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 15 minutes.
Step 5: Allow the breakfast casserole to cool for a few minutes. Then, slice into squares.
Step 6: Serve and enjoy! You may want to have ketchup available. There's always someone who asks.
- Make sure to whisk the egg and milk together really well before pouring over the hashbrown casserole.
- For the cheese, I recommend a block to shred it fresh for the best melt. Bagged cheese doesn't melt as well because of the anti-caking agent added.
- Use fresh hashbrowns, Simply Potatoes shredded hashbrowns, if possible to avoid extra moisture in the casserole.
- I recommend using a standard 9 x 13 casserole dish to keep the same cook time as these instructions.
Frozen hashbrowns can let extra water out during the baking process making things soggy sometimes. I suggest using the fresh Simply Potatoes for this reason. However, if you use frozen, allow them to thaw at room temperature for at least 30 minutes prior to starting this casserole and drain out any water.
Store in a sealed container or wrap casserole dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Slice a piece and place on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes until warm or microwave on microwave safe plate for 30 second increments until hot.
Yes! For the best results, slice into individual squares and vacuum seal and freeze. Use within 2 months. Allow the casserole to thaw before baking again.
More Easy Breakfasts You Will Love:
If you tried this Breakfast Casserole Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it goes in the 📝 comments below. I love hearing from you!Print