These turkey taco bowls are perfect for an easy dinner option or a great meal prep idea. Everyone can build their own, which is always a favorite in my house!
These ground turkey taco bowls are my last minute dinner idea that everyone goes wild over. I love it because my kids can't complain about what they're getting because they can make their own!
Looking for extra protein? Add beans as a topping! Can’t have rice? How about lettuce or spinach for a base instead? You can totally go with whatever you have in the fridge or pantry for these. I love recipes like this.
For more easy dinner ideas try:
The Ingredients for Turkey Taco Bowls:
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 cup yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 1 cup red pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 zucchini, sliced thin
- 2 cups of cheese- I had feta and cheddar as choices (1 cup of each)
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 cup of pico de gallo
- 2 avocados, sliced or mashed into guac
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- ½ pack of taco seasoning (½ ounce)
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Other good options that I did not use, but would be delicious: shredded lettuce and black or pinto beans.
For an extra topping idea, try my chili lime sautéed chickpea recipe!
How to make them:
- Cook the rice according to the package instructions. I used a rice cooker for mine..Gotta love those things to save on time.
- Prepare the avocado/guac, pico, cheese, sour cream and lime wedges. I always do this ahead of time, so I don’t have to rush at the end. Put in fridge until serving.
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a large skillet or dutch oven on medium heat. Add the yellow onion and red pepper and cook for 2 minutes, then add your zucchini. Sprinkle in the salt. Stir, and allow this to cook for 4 to 5 minutes. Turn the heat down if the zucchini and onions start to brown. Remove all veggies from the skillet and place in a bowl and cover with foil to keep in the heat.
- Return skillet to medium heat and add the ground turkey. Break up the turkey and cook until no longer pink. Add in taco seasoning and stir to incorporate. *Cooking tip: Add a few tablespoons of water if it looks really dry. Ground turkey is lean and it sometimes needs a little water with the taco seasoning* Cook another 3 to 5 minutes until fully cooked (a few minutes past no pink in sight)
- Have everyone build their own taco bowls and enjoy a delicious, quick and healthy meal. I love using these wooden bowls for serving.
These taco bowls are perfect for an easy dinner option. The kids can build their own, which mine always love to do. Looking for extra protein? Add beans as a topping! Can’t have rice? How about romaine lettuce instead? You can totally go with whatever you have in the fridge or pantry for these. I love recipes like this.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Dinner Meals
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: turkey taco bowls, easy taco bowls, ground turkey recipes
What are your favorite ingredients for taco bowls? Let me know in the comments if I missed any!
Stuck on finding dinner ideas for the week. Try these...